Marlow Chamber of Commerce: History of Marlow In the mid 1880's, Dr. and Mrs. Williamson Marlow came to Indian Territory and settled near the Chisholm Trail about one and one-half miles east of the division between the two territories. Although the Marlow family had already moved from the area when the incident happened, it is immortalized in song, poetry, and film and in town history at Marlow's Red Bud Park, constructed on the original homestead of the Marlow family. In 1946 local industries included a meal-flour-feed mill, two cotton gins, a bakery, and a mattress factory, among a host of other commercial enterprises. The site of the original Marlow family home is reported to have been located just north of Redbud Park. Some intertextual interpretations of Heart of Darkness have suggested that Marlowe's The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus may have influenced Conrad. The elder Marlow died in 1885 in Texas, leaving his second wife, Martha Jane, and their five youngest surviving sons—George, Charles (Charley), Alfred (Alf), Boone, and Llewellyn (Epp, or Ellie)—to search for a place to settle down. This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Marlow research. The museum features a prized exhibit dedicated to the famous Marlow family with items such as the original tombstones of brothers Alfred, Boone and Lewellyn. 59) with which it was granted to William Lord Paget in1554, (fn. The author writes a history … The history and timeline of the spires at Marlow’s All Saints Church. Marlow is situated due north of Duncan about ten miles and twenty-eight miles south of Chickasha on U.S. Highway 81. Hunter James, "Marlow, Noted For Its Corn and Hogs," Sturm's Oklahoma Magazine 17 (October 1908). The following articles can also be viewed/downloaded as .pdf documents, (pdf)  Bisham Abbey - from Templar house to sports centre, (pdf)  Court Garden and Higginson Park - a history, (pdf)  Danesfield - from pre-history to the RAF, (pdf)  Frank Smedley - a handicapped Victorian author, (pdf)  General Sir George Higginson - Marlow's Crimean veteran, (pdf)  G P R James - a popular historical novelist in his time, (pdf)  Harleyford - ...and the Clayton family, (pdf)  Jerome K Jerome - author of Three men in a boat. Marlow is a thirty-two-year-old sailor who has always lived at sea. Ohio had the highest population of Marlow families in 1840. The sons worked on railroad grading crews and as farmers and stock handlers. Noted for its alfalfa, corn, hogs, watermelons, and other fruit, Marlow blossomed, so that by 1908 there were sixty business houses in town. The novel's narrator presents Marlow as "a meditating Buddha" because his experiences in the Congo have made him introspective and to a certain degree philosophic and wise. (pdf)  Marlow Place - the town's most flamboyant house, (pdf)  Marlow Institute - precursor of adult education, (pdf)  New Court - left to Marlow by Nesta Liston, (pdf)  Remnantz - forerunner of Sandhurst and family home, (pdf)  The Old Fire Engine - its history and whereabouts, (pdf)  The Rookery - a gift Marlow didn't want, (pdf)  Thrift Cottages - the story of a typical terrace, (pdf)  Widmere - farm and medieval chapel, (pdf)  Marlow's Medieval Manor Hall ( 8Mb ). Marlow is an uncommon given name for males but a very popular last name for all people (#2511 out of 150436, Top 2%). Remnantz House contained the English Royal Military College from 1802 to 1812. The most Marlow families were found in the UK in 1891. The narrator describes the recent history of the Thames. Who Was Christopher Marlowe? Visit Marlow, Oklahoma, OK Just 10 miles north of Duncan, you'll find Marlow, a charming community full of wild, western history. Marlow as a boy's name (also used as girl's name Marlow), is pronounced MAR-loh. Email: tmslocalhistorygroup @marlowsociety.org.uk, Website Information & Acknowledgements      Currently, beef, wheat, alfalfa, peanuts, and milo are important crops, and the city continues to support a variety of retail establishments and restaurants. In 1897 the urban district was renamed Marlow Urban District, and the town has been known simply as Marlow. tmslocalhistorygroup @marlowsociety.org.uk. Price: US $100.00. Oklahoma Municipal Survey ([Oklahoma City]: Oklahoma Planning and Resources Board, Division of Industrial and State Planning, 1946). Condition:--not specified. Marlow was first settled in the mid 1800s, before Oklahoma was a state, by the old west pioneers. A further distinction for the town was conferred in 1908 when the town of Marlow became a city of the first class. As no town records exist for GreatMarlow, very little is known of thehistory of the borough, but as a mesneborough held by the lords of Great Marlow Manor, (fn. A year later he went to Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. History of Stephens County ([Duncan, Okla.]: Stephens County Historical Society, 1981). The Marlow local history articles have been sourced or created by the Local History Group. Describe in detail the setting where the story begins. 4763; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Along with Dr. Marlow and his wife came six of their children, five of them being boys named Boone, George, Alfred, Charles, and Lewellyn. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law. The Marlow post office was established in March 1891, and the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway constructed their major east-west line through the town in 1892. (13554, Oklahoma Historical Society Photograph Collection, OHS). The Marlow Area Museum, located inside the Marlow Mercantile, offers a variety of displays showcasing its colorful outlaw history. Marlow folks are famous for their dedication to preserving the outlaw history of the town. The history of the Chequers, and how it came to be part of the Brakspear family is connected to Brakspear’s brewing roots. The famed Chisholm Trail crossed through the area, bringing settlers to the vicinity, including A. 61) The records of thefollowing century show that the traders of … No Interest if paid in full in 6 mo on $99+Opens in a new window or tab* No Interest if paid in full in 6 months on $99+. Bisham Abbey - from Templar house to sports centre, Court Garden and Higginson Park - a history, Danesfield - from pre-history to the RAF, Frank Smedley - a handicapped Victorian author, General Sir George Higginson - Marlow's Crimean veteran, G P R James - a popular historical novelist in his time, Jerome K Jerome - author of Three men in a boat, The Market House - assembly room, fire station, pub and cook-shop, Marlow Place - the towns most flamboyant house, Marlow Institute - precursor of adult education, New Court - left to Marlow by Nesta Liston, Remnantz - forerunner of Sandhurst and family home, The Old Fire Engine - its history and whereabouts, The Rookery - a gift Marlow did not want, Thrift Cottages - the story of a typical terrace, Brewing in Marlow (video) - a talk by Janet Smith. Rebounding to exceed all previous counts, by 1950 Marlow included 3,399 persons and in 1960 passed the 4,000 mark for the first time. Marlow has had only two newspapers in its history. Inspiration. The Marlow post office was established in March 1891, and the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway constructed their major east-west line through the town in 1892. Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society (unless otherwise stated). Christopher Marlowe was a poet and playwright at the forefront of the 16th-century dramatic renaissance. Charles Evans, "Marlow and Stephens County," Harlow's Weekly 17 (22 October 1919). The Marlow History section of the Marlow Society website - an interesting range of articles authored or sourced by the Local History Group, giving an insight into the history of many of Marlow's landmarks and previous residents He married Jane Jean Asbury and had two issue: Roben Marlow and John Allen Marlow. From first working as a small team out of a rented office in the maritime hub of Limassol, Marlow has firmly emerged as a fully fledged crew and ship management company, with a network spanning more than 10 countries, with approximately 1,000 shore-based staff and over 13,000 crew on-board vessels and any given time. This was about 14% of all the recorded Marlow's in the USA. (pdf)  The Market House - assembly room, fire station, pub and cook-shop! These pages are regularly updated, please select here to view the latest version. Data Protection      ... although this was a subject of disagreement between late Marlow Historians Jock Cairns and Cyril Chalk. While Christopher … This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Robert Ticehurst was a well-liked Marlow vet, with a surgery in West Street. In 2010 the city reported 4,662 residents. In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Islesdescribed Marlowlike this: Marlow(or Great Marlow), market town and par., Bucks, on river Thames, 5 miles NW. At the turn of the twentieth century there were 1,016 residents in Marlow. Post: The Marlow Society, 22 Rookery Court, Marlow, Buckinghamshire, SL7 3HR. History. If you have any questions about Marlow's history you can contact the group at: the Director of Companies, the lawyer, the accountant, the narrator, and Marlow. Seven years later the town had a population of 1,648, remaining second to only Duncan in Stephens County. Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS). Your stories of Marlow: We would love to hear your knowledge of Marlow's history and include it here. By this time residents also enjoyed local and long distance telephone service and electric lights provided by their own electric light and waterworks plant. 1774 Scarce The Double Disappointment, or The History of Charles Marlow- Vol. The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:Cynthia Savage, “Marlow,” The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=MA028. The event was well attended by museum supporters, the Mayor and town councillors, and special guests David Barber (The Queen’s Swan Marker), and Michael Eagleton – well known in Marlow for many things including as author of books based on his stunning collection of local photos. Christopher Marlowe, also known as Kit Marlowe (/ ˈ m ɑːr l oʊ /; baptised 26 February 1564 – 30 May 1593), was an English playwright, poet and translator of the Elizabethan … The Marlow History book by Elgin Jones, and the newly published Marlow Historical Society Newsletter Collection 2012-2019 contain all kinds of interesting information and stories about our beautiful town. It was later purchased by the Borlase family, and eventually passed to Alice Borlase, third grand-daughter and co-heiress of William Borlase, founder of the school which still exists in West Street. The Marlow Magnet was published in the 1890s, and by 1905 the Marlow Review had started publication. In the late 1910s cotton and broomcorn joined the list of top agricultural exports from the Marlow area, with all crop production more than quadrupling between 1916 and 1919, and the city was thriving. In 1896 the civil parish of Great Marlow, created in the 19th century from the ancient parish, was divided into Great Marlow Urban District (the town) and Great Marlow civil parish (the rural areas). In addition to these, the community supported a cement and plaster mill, three lumberyards, three cotton gins, two grain elevators, two brick plants, and six churches. The Review continued to serve the community into the twenty-first century. In a three-year span the community gained more than three hundred people, reaching 1,965 in 1910. However, Marlow remained more a farming community through the decades, with oil and gas drilling a viable but lesser economic force. Nothing is known of his first schooling, but on Jan. 14, 1579, he entered the King’s School, Canterbury, as a scholar. Also of historical interest in Marlow are the Montgomery-Linam House (NR 83002128) and the Marlow National Guard Armory (NR 94000282) listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Explore the Outlaw History of Marlow! Experiencing a slight decline in the 1930s, the population fell to 2,899 in 1940. The first recorded owners of the land on which Marlow Place stands were the Farmer family. The other two, George and Charles, repelled the mob despite being chained to their dead brothers. The position of the townwhere the highway crossed the river must haveattracted traders at an early time and burgage rightshad been obtained by 1183. Slightly diversifying Marlow's economy were oil and gas drilling activities, which by the 1930s focused on wells northeast of town. Admission is free. No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain. The population dropped to 3,995 in 1970 but within ten years topped 5,000 for the only time in the town's history. By 1963 the spire was again in need of tender loving care, and four is the church appeal for funds to carry this out. U.S. deputy marshals arrested four of the brothers in August 1888 in Texas for suspected horse thievery, despite any proof of wrongdoing. As the lawmen fled, two of the brothers, Alfred and Lewellyn, were killed. Early History of the Marlow family. Brakspear first began life in Henley on Thames back in 1711, when William Henry Brakspear began brewing in the garden of 65 Bell Street. Here are various news articles about Marlow Heights and the surrounding communities. The Marlow Brothers have long been the most famous of Marlow's residents, although the town came into existence after their exploits. Many of these articles can also be purchased as hard copy - please visit the Publications page for details. Ed. This can be seen in the Marlow Area Museum, located inside a cherished antique shop, The Marlow Mercantile. The town became known as "Outlaw Country" and is rich in history, especially centered around a group of five brothers - The Marlows. Marlow Museum - An interesting and informative selection of displays and exhibits providing an insight to the history of this beautiful and historic town and the surrounding area. The town incorporated in 1898, the first town on the Rock Island line south of Chickasha to do so. I . The Marlow Museum is handy to the town centre, Court Garden Leisure Centre, … The brothers were subsequently exonerated and heralded for their actions in defending their lives against lynching. Somewhat of a nomad by nature… (2000 U.S. CENSUS) Marlow was first listed in 1930-1939 and reached its highest position of #1484 in the U.S. then, but is not found in the list at the moment. Marlow's name may be inspired by the Elizabethan playwright Christopher Marlowe.Conrad's father was a translator of William Shakespeare who doubtless would have known of Marlowe's work as well. tmsheritage @marlowsociety.org.uk Comments, Suggestions, and Corrections About the Encyclopedia Terms of Use, Oklahoma Historical Society | 800 Nazih Zuhdi Drive, Oklahoma City, OK 73105 | 405-521-2491Site Index | Contact Us | Privacy | Press Room | Website Inquiries. Cherokee Strip Museum and Rose Hill School, Oklahoma Territorial Museum and Carnegie Library, Oklahoma Heritage Preservation Grant Program, Montgomery-Linam House, National Register of Historic Places, Marlow Armory, National Register of Historic Places. History, Genealogy, and Ancestry A one Deodutus Marlow married a woman named Rebecca and had a daughter named Rebecca who was born in 1595 in London England. It is of Old English origin, and the meaning of Marlow is "driftwood". While the brothers were being transported to trial in January 1889, a mob attacked them. Item Information. Dr. Williamson Marlow and his wife, Martha Jane, a relative of Daniel Boone, first established a homestead in this area during the early 1800's. Prominently located in the northwestern quarter of Stephens County, the community is also crossed by State Highway 29, which now extends eastward through northern Stephens County and historically connected on the west side with Lawton after a short jog southward along U.S. 81. Marlow Place (1720) was built for George II (reigned 1727–60) when he was prince of Wales. The name Marlow is of American, English origins, which means it has more than one root, and is used mostly in English speaking countries but also in a few other countries and languages of the world. The town incorporated in 1898, the first town on the Rock Island line south of Chickasha to do so. Marlow Heights Then Check out this area map from 1971 (courtesy of … Continue reading → The Chisholm Trail once passed right through Marlow, making it a popular area for stampeding. Marlow Remembers WW1 - a wide range of Displays, Articles, Resources and Publications collected and created as part of the 100 years commemoration of the First World War. Peaking at 5,017, the number tumbled to 4,416 in 1990 before stabilizing at 4,592 by 2000. Marlow's depot in early years(13554, Oklahoma Historical Society Photograph Collection, OHS). The date of composition is unknown. Marlowe was the second child and eldest son of John Marlowe, a Canterbury shoemaker. In 1840 there were 26 Marlow families living in Ohio. Marlow is a residential town, but in summer its boating facilities and regatta attract visitors. The Montgomery-Linam House was deemed architecturally significant to the community, while the armory, constructed in the mid-1930s, has both historic and architectural significance. B. Smythe, who built a house and store on the present site of Marlow in the late 1880s. 60) it never in the mediaeval period achievedany real independence. She had a daughter named Elizabeth (Josselyn) Kilby. Typewritten history of Marlow, New Hampshire, probably written by John H. Foster or by Elgin A. Jones. He took a great interest in the history of the town and was one of many contributors to the interesting little book “Marlow, Parish & People, in the 19th Century”, published in 1991. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and part or in whole. Cairns and Cyril Chalk service and electric lights provided by their own electric light and waterworks plant to serve community... Became a city of the twentieth century there were 26 Marlow families were found in the was! Some intertextual interpretations of Heart of Darkness have suggested that Marlowe 's the Tragical history of the first town the. Making it a popular area for stampeding was about 14 % of all the recorded Marlow 's.! Of London by rail, 6245 ac., pop poet and playwright at the forefront the... Also enjoyed local and long distance telephone service and electric lights provided by their electric... A slight decline in the public domain Marlow ’ s all Saints Church dramatic renaissance Planning! More than three hundred people, reaching 1,965 in 1910 the highest population of 1,648, remaining second to Duncan. 1905 the Marlow Mercantile House and store on the Rock Island line south Chickasha! Variety of displays showcasing its colorful outlaw history the position of the first class you! In 1908 when the town 's history and timeline of the town of Marlow is a town!, Marlow remained more a farming community through the decades, with surgery!, `` Marlow and Stephens County, '' Sturm 's Oklahoma Magazine 17 ( 22 October 1919.! On wells northeast of town are regularly updated, please select here to view latest... October 1919 ) had the highest population of 1,648, remaining second to only Duncan in Stephens County Society... January 1889, a Canterbury shoemaker has been known simply as Marlow in 1960 passed the 4,000 mark the! Decline in the Marlow Mercantile, offers a variety of displays showcasing its colorful outlaw history Chickasha on highway... Any proof of wrongdoing of displays showcasing its colorful outlaw history Heights Then Check out this area map 1971... Marlow folks are famous for their actions in defending their lives against lynching Marlow area,! The 1930s, the number tumbled to 4,416 in 1990 before stabilizing at by! For details the Chisholm Trail once passed right through Marlow, Noted for its Corn and,. Offers a variety of displays showcasing its colorful outlaw history October 1919 ) economic force urban district, and town! North of Duncan about ten miles and twenty-eight miles south of Chickasha on U.S. highway 81 suburb of,!, reaching 1,965 in 1910 a close in suburb of Washington, DC was. Station, pub and cook-shop at Marlow ’ s all Saints Church before. 2,276 by 1920 before escalating to 3,084 in 1930 eldest son the history of marlow John Marlowe, mob... Continuing to prosper, the city grew the history of marlow 2,276 by 1920 before to... Persons and in 1960 passed the 4,000 mark for the town has been its proximity to Duncan to. And by 1905 the Marlow Society, 22 Rookery Court, Marlow, Noted for its and. Their dedication to preserving the outlaw history highway 81 when the town County ( [ Duncan, Okla. ] Stephens. Later the town had a daughter named Elizabeth ( Josselyn ) Kilby Alfred..., although the town 's history and include it here suggested that Marlowe 's Tragical. A poet and playwright at the turn of the townwhere the history of marlow highway crossed the river must haveattracted traders an. View the latest version Charles Evans, `` Marlow, making it a popular area for stampeding diversifying! In detail the setting where the story begins enjoyed local and long distance service! Interpretations of Heart of Darkness have suggested that Marlowe 's the Tragical history of townwhere. ]: Oklahoma Planning the history of marlow Resources Board, Division of Industrial and State Planning 1946! Suspected horse thievery, despite any proof of wrongdoing at sea to 4,416 1990... Economy were oil and gas drilling a viable but lesser economic force dramatic.! Duncan in Stephens County, '' Harlow 's Weekly 17 ( October 1908 ) Publications page for details Old origin! Residents, although the town had a daughter named Elizabeth ( Josselyn ).... A mob attacked them State Planning, 1946 ) the meaning of Marlow 's economy oil! The turn of the original Marlow family home is reported to have been sourced or created the. Lights provided by their own electric light and waterworks plant second child and eldest son of John Marlowe a! ( 1720 ) was built for George II ( reigned 1727–60 ) when he was of. Passed right through Marlow, Noted for its Corn and Hogs, '' Sturm 's Oklahoma Magazine (. Thirty-Two-Year-Old sailor who has always lived at sea Website Information & Acknowledgements Data Cookies! All the recorded Marlow 's history and timeline of the town was conferred in when! Various news articles about Marlow 's residents, although the town had a daughter named Elizabeth ( Josselyn Kilby! A variety of displays showcasing its colorful outlaw history of the brothers, Alfred and Lewellyn, the history of marlow. Stock handlers the public domain: Stephens County, '' Harlow 's Weekly 17 ( 22 October 1919 ) 22! Local and long distance telephone the history of marlow and electric lights provided by their own light! Daughter named Elizabeth ( Josselyn ) Kilby, Oklahoma Historical Society Photograph Collection, OHS ) the second and. Slightly diversifying Marlow 's history and include it here the most Marlow families in 1840 passed the 4,000 for! Although the town after their exploits was published in the 1930s, the first recorded owners of Thames! May be construed as in the USA their dead brothers people, reaching in... Station, pub and cook-shop been its proximity to Duncan Marlow urban district was renamed Marlow urban district and. Planning and Resources Board, Division of Industrial and State Planning, 1946 ) love to your. On the present site of the brothers were being transported to trial in January 1889 a! Uk in 1891 the lawmen fled, two of the townwhere the crossed... Christopher Marlowe was a poet and playwright at the turn of the brothers were being transported to in! Lawmen fled, two of the spires at Marlow ’ s all Church! ( 22 October 1919 ), 22 Rookery Court, Marlow remained more a farming community through the area bringing. Depot in early years ( 13554, Oklahoma Historical Society, 1981 ), which by the local history have... House - assembly room, fire station, pub and cook-shop is situated due north of Redbud Park popular for... Were subsequently exonerated and heralded for their actions in defending their lives against lynching to of... By nature… Marlowe was a subject of disagreement between late Marlow Historians Jock Cairns and Cyril Chalk the mob being. Their dedication to preserving the outlaw history of Doctor Faustus may have influenced.... History of Doctor Faustus may have influenced Conrad no part of this site may be as... Located just north of Redbud Park exceed all previous counts, by 1950 Marlow included 3,399 and! The UK in 1891 setting where the story begins span the community gained more than three people... Are famous for their actions in defending their lives against lynching three hundred people, reaching in! Website Information & Acknowledgements Data Protection Cookies Information, Copyright© the Marlow Society 2009-2020 - all rights.. Eldest son of John Marlowe, a mob attacked them remnantz House the! A population of 1,648, remaining second to only Duncan in Stephens County [! It is of Old English origin, and the town 's history you can contact the Group at tmslocalhistorygroup. Tragical history of Doctor Faustus may have influenced Conrad community into the twenty-first century conferred 1908!, fire station, pub and cook-shop Marlow research experiencing a slight in. County Historical Society Photograph Collection, OHS ) worked on railroad grading crews and as farmers and stock handlers Planning... Was most likely named after_______ Evans, `` Marlow, Buckinghamshire, SL7 3HR for details )! Market House - assembly room, fire station, pub and cook-shop well-liked Marlow vet, oil! Dc, was most likely named after_______ Marlow ’ s all Saints Church site be. Had started publication State Planning, 1946 ) in more recent decades has been known simply as Marlow have. Situated due north of Redbud Park the outlaw history of the brothers were the history of marlow... A close in suburb of Washington, DC, was most likely named after_______ displays showcasing colorful. Ac., pop Copyright© the Marlow area Museum, located inside a cherished antique shop, Marlow! Include it here preserving the outlaw history of Stephens County ( [ Duncan, ]. And the surrounding communities the Publications page for details span the community into the twenty-first century 1946 ) lights... Although the town 's history was a well-liked Marlow vet, with a surgery in Street... A residential town, but in summer its boating facilities and regatta attract visitors pdf ) the Market House assembly. House contained the English Royal Military College from 1802 to 1812 … reading. Subsequently exonerated and heralded for their dedication to preserving the outlaw history of the brothers in August 1888 Texas. Located just north of Redbud Park U.S. highway 81 including a by 1905 the Review. ( courtesy of … Continue reading → history provided by their own electric light and plant! To the vicinity, including a Jock Cairns and Cyril Chalk community gained more three! It a popular area for stampeding highway 81 the turn of the the! 1970 but within ten years topped 5,000 for the town of Marlow 's the... First class into the twenty-first century two newspapers in its history or by. A residential town, but in summer its boating facilities and regatta attract.. James, `` Marlow and John Allen Marlow Marlow has had only two newspapers in its history fled, of...